QuickBooks Desktop users are eagerly awaiting the launch of QuickBooks Desktop 2024 after Intuit unveiled exciting new features coming to the software. However, no official release date has been announced 23 October, 2023. Based on previous release patterns, we can make an educated guess as to when QuickBooks Desktop 2024 will become available. Let’s take a look at when past versions were released and what that might indicate for the 2024 desktop edition.
First, examining the release history of previous QuickBooks Desktop editions provides clues on the 2024 timing:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021 – Released September 2020
- QuickBooks Desktop 2022 – Released September 2021
- QuickBooks Desktop 2023 – Released September 2022
- QuickBooks Desktop 2024 – Released October 2023
As you can see, for the past three years, QuickBooks Desktop has consistently launched in September.
This points to a high probability of QuickBooks Desktop 2024 also being released in September 2023.
Release Date Speculation
Based on past timing, we can speculate that QuickBooks Desktop 2024 will be released in mid to late September 2023.
Some potential release date predictions include the following:
- September 15, 2023 – The company may look to release earlier in the month compared to previous years.
- September 20, 2023 – Falls on a Wednesday, which is a common software release day.
- September 30, 2023 – The last day of the month seems plausible for the 2024 edition launch.
- October 23, 2023 – The last day of the month seems plausible for the 2024 edition launch.
While the exact date is not known yet, late September 2023 seems like the target release timeframe.
Why September Releases?
You may be wondering why Intuit consistently chooses September to release new QuickBooks Desktop editions.
A few important reasons are driving this timing:
- Sync with Financial Year – September marks the start of the fiscal year for many businesses. New QuickBooks versions align with this calendar.
- Allow Tax Prep – Gives accounting pros time to test the software and prepare for tax season starting in January.
- Beat Competition – Releasing earlier than competing products gives QuickBooks an advantage.
- Maximize Sales – The holiday shopping season from October to December helps boost new version sales.
Releasing in September allows QuickBooks Desktop to fully leverage the major fourth-quarter buying season.
Preorder and Early Access
In recent years, Intuit has allowed users to preorder the latest QuickBooks Desktop well before the official launch.
Preorders usually open in May for the upcoming version. This benefits early adopters.
There is also an Early Release Program that provides access to the new software as early as August. This lets users test beta versions.
We expect similar early access for the QuickBooks Desktop 2024 edition.
What’s Planned for 2024?
QuickBooks product managers have already outlined several new features coming in 2024:
- Improved income tracking
- Enhanced business insights
- More automation for workflows
- Time-saving tools for accounting pros
- Better report customization
- Increased productivity for field service businesses
They are also focused on delivering an optimal experience, whether working in an office or remotely.
As the release date nears, we should get more details on new features and improvements.